Have you or a loved one been in a car accident? Are you wondering how to proceed? The New Orleans auto accident attorneys at Lambert Zainey can help you take the appropriate steps.
We understand that being involved in a car accident can be quite stressful and traumatic, and it is only natural to be overwhelmed with the situation. Regardless of the circumstances of your accident, whether it was but a fender-bender or a serious pile-up of multiple cars, it is important to know what steps to take immediately after the crash.
To be better prepared for a future accident, review the checklist of immediate steps to take below:
Steps to take after a New Orleans Car Accident:
- Turn on your warning lights.
- Get medical help for yourself and other parties involved.
- Call the police and report the accident.
- Take a picture of the scene of the accident for investigation purposes.
- Use safety cones, flares or warning triangles to secure the scene of the accident.
- If possible, move your vehicle out of the road.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other parties involved.
- Collect contact information from witnesses.
- Take notes or record details of the accident for later use.
- Remain at the scene of the accident until the police officer releases you.
- Report the accident to your insurance agent. You are not required to contact your insurance company if you are worried about your premium increasing, but if the other party files a claim, you may be out of luck.
- Contact Lambert Zainey and speak with a car accident lawyer in New Orleans about compensation for damages or personal injuries.
Our advice to you
- Do not give an accident statement to the Insurance Company because it may be used later to prove that you were at fault or to show that the injuries you have suffered are insignificant. Simply report the accident.
- Do not agree to any settlement before having spoken to an experienced New Orleans auto accident attorney. Once you sign a statement, your claim will be finalized and you likely will not be able to make any adjustments.
- Do not discuss your case with anyone other than your Louisiana car accident attorney or your doctors.
- Be careful about your actions following the accident. Do not agree to doing any manual labor if you have serious injuries. Be cautious about the things you post on social media or anywhere else online.
Get Help after a Car Accident in Louisiana
As a car accident law firm, we will estimate the severity of the injuries as well the property damage and help you protect your rights, including handling all correspondence with the proper authorities and insurance agents for you.
- We will collect information and evidence from the scene of the accident.
- We will take pictures of your injuries as well as the vehicles involved.
- We will interview witnesses to the accident.
- We will aggressively pursue your claim, through negotiations and in the courtroom if necessary.
Schedule a free consultation with Lambert Zainey today to go over your claim, get answers to your questions about car accident claims, and let our group of New Orleans car accident attorneys help you achieve the best possible results for your individual case.